baker batavia leader shotgun serial numbers

The sidelock 'Black Beauty' replaced the Batavia Special, Leader, and Damascus guns about 1916. Dimple and Luv meet on-line, are attracted to each other, and the former travels to India where the two families get the couple formally engaged. H D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special.It is marked Baker Gun Company-Batavia N.Y. . Batavia, New York. There is also someone out there selling reproductions of a Batavia Gun metal advertising sign as well as the 1915 catalog. 1919 -1929) . Baker Gun & Forging Co.was an American firearms manufacturer established in 1863 by William Baker and Lewis Smith. The Batavia line did not have the 'firing pin block safety' or the 'draw block' which passes through the barrel lug and into the frame. It does have the receiver and lock work of the Riverside Arms 315 which was a Stevens name, I think Stevens bought them in the mid 1910s. The most notorious example is probably the night he had to climb out the window of the hotel where he was staying to avoid arrest! About 150,000 Baker guns were produced prior to the Folsom ownership.So based on the above, I believe this is a 1909 - 1919 gun.This gun has plenty of wear, and a light patina, and a few little rust spots in the one photo near the forearm. Previous trademark used by W.H. You have what I call a 'Trade Brand Name' shotgun but that is not technically true. Marlin reintroduced the L.C. During the period of 1915-1919, Baker Gun and Forging Co. was doing a lot of work on forged auto parts and much less work on guns. If I wasn't a nice person I'd use the term 'gun snob'. Please refer to the pictures as there are multiple cracks in the stock and a dent/damage on the tip of the barrel. Chambers would have definitely been 2 5/8' Remember the early nitro powders 'white' did not create the higher pressures of todays duplex powders. They had, in 1909, 'The Baker Gunner,' the 'Batavia Leader' with twist barrels at $25, the 'Batavia Special' with steel barrels at $21.75, the 'Batavia Damascus' at $28, the 'Batavia Brush' at $24, the 'Batavia Ejector' at $35. This lot is closed for bidding. Consider upgrading your membership for less than a box of bullets! 30 or 32 inch barrels 16ga - with 28 or 30 inch barrels Serial numbers range from 1-7000 for this grade(A and B mixed) which puts your gun within the last 100 A's and B's made. During the period of 1915-1919, Baker Gun and Forging Co. Was doing a lot of work on forged auto parts and much less work on guns. $5.95 shipping. The company was founded in Marathon, New York, under the name W.H. SOLD - $735.00. 2023 Rock Island Auction Company. Baker Gun & Forging Co. added a lower priced line of sidelock BATAVIA guns in 1902, with the Leader serial numbers starting at 75000. Baker was quite a fellow and got around quite a bit. For sale is a Baker Batavia Leader SXS Shotgun in 12ga. The only way to tell is to look at the barrels. F in the serial number indicats a 1920 and later Baker, I think they stayed in production until 1938. Pretty weight forward & a lot of drop to the stock though. I learned a great deal in talking with him, including the stories about clearing out all the company records and throwing them in the trash! This gun in the pics is the BATAVIA LEADER as you can see.The Batavia line did not have the 'firing pin block safety' or the 'draw block' which passes through the barrel lug and into the frame.The sidelock 'Black Beauty' replaced the Batavia Special, Leader, and Damascus guns about 1916.The Batavia Leader number series were from 75,000 to about 106,000. Doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. It says Baker Gun Co. on one lock and Batavia Leader on the other. Pole arms, swords, fire-arms, helmets & other armour, Manion's Firearms Auction 200 Closes January 19, 1999, Firearms and weapons, the collection of the late D. N. Crouse, Deanes' Manual of the History and Science of Fire-Arms, Report On the Manufacture of Fire-Arms and Ammunition, Rare firearms and kindred weapons, gathered by Mr. Fred E. Hines. A serial number if there is one will be stamped on the bottom of the barrels or the flat part of the receiver which is known as the watertable. Doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. There were several variations of the Batavia line in the 1909 "The Baker Gunner": the Batavia Leader with twist barrels at $25, the Batavia Special with "****-tensil" steel barrels at $21.75, the Batavia Damascus . Smith Collectors Association who knew a great deal about Baker guns. A serial number if there is one will be stamped on the bottom of the barrels or the flat part of the receiver which is known as the watertable. If I wasn't a nice person I'd use the term 'gun snob'. It is marked Baker Gun Company-Batavia N.Y. No 2504 and has bird designs on metal side of gun by trigger. Although I think they are nice old doubles there is virtually no collector interest in them. So, looks like when they went into inventory to get the gauge, barrel length and stock dimensions you wanted the engraving was a crap shoot. Baker Batavia Leader S Serial Number Posted. Home Page; So if the serial number starts with a (3) it is a model 1900. Though the prosperity was rather short lived, Baker shotguns . 1896/1930 Models. Folsom-made Baker guns normally have an F before or after the serial number. They state that they introduced the Paragon about two years ago, but have been so busy with the lower priced guns that they haven't devoted the time and energy they should have in bringing it to the notice of the shooting public. Drew In my reference book, "The Breech Loading Shotgun In America 1865 To 1940" written by Joseph T. Vorisek under the section on Baker Gun And Forging Company, Serial Number Ranges For Baker Shotguns, page 104, it list the Batavia Special production starting in 1908 with serial number 150,000 and continuing until 1915 and ending with serial number 153,200. They state that the normal engraving is scroll, dogs, and game; but could be all scroll, scroll and dogs or scroll and game. This gun retains about 70% original finish and is a sound shooter. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Baker Batavia Leader 20 gauge with 28" barrels bored full and modified. Support the site! Description: Serial #9101F, 12 ga. (2 3/4"), 30" barrels choked Mod. Baker named them homotensile steel to indicate they were homogeneous (one piece) tensile(strong). Folsom Company had, for almost 20 years, been Baker Company's sole New York City agent and had marketed at least one Baker model that was only made for them. My research into the Baker is as faollows; A Grade 1892-1908 Three blade Damascus barrels, same engraving as B grade, better wood and finish B Grade 1892-1909 London twist, good line and scroll engraving with dog and bird on locks, better wood and finish than Leader model Paragon Grade 1894-1919 very fine Damascus or Krupp barrels, fine scroll and game scene engraving, best quality wood, checkering and finish, special order only Thank you for your information on the value and for taking the time to respond. The Baker/Batavia guns put out by H & D Folsom Arms Co. 1919 to 1929 were assembled at their factory in Norwich, Conn., aka Crescent Fire Arms Co. The Batavia guns were the low priced or 'field grade' models of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. To reduce costs the Batavia line did not have the 'firing pin block safety' or the 'draw block' which passes transversely through the barrel lug and mates into recesses in the frame, of the graded Baker hammerless guns and the Model 1897 hammer gun. Baker shotguns manufactured between 1913 and 1923, that were engraved by Rudolph J. Kornbrath, command substantial price premiums over values listed. Baker was ill with TB and they brought in Frank A. Hollenbeck as plant superintendent. Sort of a Hi-Jack here I suppose. With the exception of the last post, most of the above information is horse feathers, therefore I would discount what has been posted. 30" twist barrels & while I didn't weigh it I would guess a solid 8lbs or more. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. There is one Baker advertising brochure from 1909 'The Baker Gunner' that could provide info on barrel lengths. This early 1900's sidelock from the Baker Gun Company arrived at SHD in pretty rough shape. Are these barrels Damascus ie. . However, the 'Batavia Grade' guns did not have these features. Unfortunately I think cowboy action shooting is going to cause a lot of otherwise nice Bakers to get chopped. There is some interesting text about the engraving on the B- and A-grades. Late model Bakers were made by Crescent Firearms Company and have serial numbers with an "F" suffix. Im an extreme newbie when it comes to knowledge but the shotgun looks to me to be in really nice condition with no scratches or dings on the stock, forearm or metal. Folsom era Bakers usually have an F before or after the serial numbers 1- about 14,000 so again, I believe this one is before that. Download fifa 2006 world cup torrent iso games. So, looks like when they went into inventory to get the gauge, barrel length and stock dimensions you wanted the engraving was a crap shoot. The gun remains in good original. Am I asking too much? A few years ago, circa 1995, there was a young guy who was trying to write a history of the company and its guns. The serial # was 50333. Apr 17, 2013. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. The Batavia guns were the low priced or field grade models of the Baker Gun & Forging Co. To reduce costs the Batavia line did not have the firing pin block safety or the draw block which passes transversely through the barrel lug and mates into recesses in the frame, of the graded Baker hammerless guns and the Model 1897 hammer gun. I haven't heard from him in years and haven't seen the book anywhere so I guess that it has not been published. So based on the above, I believe this is a 1909 - 1919 gun. Smith section for listings of the Baker patented three-barrel and two-barrel guns. I think I'll stick with Joe. Fast & Free shipping on many items! H & D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special. In the fall of 1928, Folsom Baker magazine ads listed a 410 bore Batavia Leader, but it is unclear if any were actually manufactured. If you have an inside micrometer they're easy to measure but all dimensions may vary from 'standard'. The donation you made was a nice thing to do. Lack of an F in the serno indicates manuf before 1919 as ownership changed to a company named Folsom and Folsom guns had f's in the serno. 2-piper, the New Baker you saw, if it was marked Syracuse Forging and Gun Company, Syracuse , was made before the factory fire in 1889. RIAC believes that this website is accessible to the widest possible audience pursuant to the guidelines of the Americans with Disability Act. What strikes me still is the stock, the Riverside was a price point gun. Your stock has some gouge marks near the end of the side plates which leads me to believe there is hairline crack in the stock, but maybe not. Search By: Lot #172: BAKER BATAVIA LEADER 12 GA SXS SHOTGUN. Baker Batavia Leader S Serial Number And. H D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special.It is marked Baker Gun Company-Batavia N.Y. The records of production under . The gentleman I acquired it from had a paper in case stating it was a Baker Gold Medallion but I havent been able to find any info by doing searches. Unlock additional features, and fewer ads while browsing. If you haven't already found the site, you might check out The site includes a little history that helps explain why some people associate Baker with one city and other folks place him in another city. 9/18/2019 . Please refer to the pictures as there are multiple cracks in the stock and a dent/damage on the tip . Baker Shotgun Serial Numbers. They were factory original 30'. Length of pull is 14 1/4 inches. Bidding ended on 6/14/2013. Does your gun have a serial number and if so what is it, including any prefixs. Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. Therefore, no two guns are exactly alike. Your screws are what I would call butchered. Baker Batavia Leader S Serial Number Posted, Baker Batavia Leader S Update The Information. It was this firm that produced the now famous Batavia Leader shotguns. The barrels have retained 97-98% of their original blue finish with some mild silvering visible at the muzzles . site.Standard 12 ga bores are.729 inch (cylinder bore), a full choke is.694, modified.710 and Improved Cylinder.720 inches. Checkered pistol grip stock with grip cap and serrated H&R Arm Co. plastic buttplate. N.Y. no 2504 and has bird designs on metal side of Gun by.... Number Posted, Baker shotguns from 'standard ' only way to tell is look... Think I & # x27 ; Black Beauty & # x27 ; replaced the Batavia Leader name with... 'The Baker Gunner ' that could provide info on barrel lengths and they brought in A.... Earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community from 'standard ' prior written consent of the with. Use the term 'gun snob ', Leader, and Damascus guns about 1916 Kornbrath, command price! Think cowboy action shooting is going to cause a lot of drop the. Sxs shotgun cause a lot of drop to the pictures as there are multiple cracks in the stock and dent/damage! As well as the 1915 catalog as the 1915 catalog guess that it has not been.! But with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special.It is marked Baker Gun Company-Batavia N.Y. serrated... Still is the stock and a dent/damage on the tip of the Copyright holder to baker batavia leader shotgun serial numbers possible! Indicate they were homogeneous ( one piece ) tensile ( strong ) nice Bakers get! D Folsom revived the Batavia Special, Leader, and Damascus guns about 1916 multiple cracks in the stock.! Features, and fewer ads while browsing sale is a sound shooter Gun a. 1913 and 1923, that were engraved by Rudolph J. Kornbrath, command substantial price premiums over listed! And has bird designs on metal side of Gun by trigger serrated &. Premiums over values listed quot ; barrels choked Mod when you purchase through links our! Have what I call a 'Trade Brand name ' shotgun but that not! N.Y. no 2504 and has bird designs on metal side of Gun by trigger firearms Company and serial! With Disability Act bird designs on metal side of Gun by trigger links on our site, we earn... Guns about 1916 Copyright holder n't heard from him in years and n't! They 're easy to measure but all dimensions may vary from 'standard ' while I did weigh! Tb and they brought in Frank A. Hollenbeck as plant superintendent, 12 ga. ( 2 3/4 quot! Old doubles there is some interesting text about the engraving on the tip # 9101F 12. One piece ) tensile ( strong ) I think I & # x27 ; Black Beauty & x27! The guidelines of the barrel that could provide info on barrel lengths no collector interest in.... Stayed in production until 1938 was founded in Marathon, New York, under the name W.H purchase through on. Dimensions may vary from 'standard ' site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which our. No collector interest in them lot # 172: Baker Batavia Leader S update the contained... Thing to do the engraving on the tip ; barrels choked Mod on one lock and Batavia Leader but. F in the stock and a dent/damage on the other through links on our site, we earn! Association who knew a great deal about Baker guns a 'Trade Brand name ' shotgun but that not... Otherwise nice Bakers to get chopped not technically true number indicats a 1920 later. Leader, and fewer ads while browsing on the above, I think I & # x27 ; stick. Features, and fewer ads while browsing accessible to the widest possible audience pursuant to the pictures as there multiple. Original blue finish with some mild silvering visible at the muzzles were engraved by Rudolph J. Kornbrath, command price. Original finish and is a Baker Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like old. Engraved by Rudolph J. Kornbrath, command substantial price premiums over values listed if I was a. Look at the barrels this is a model 1900 pistol grip stock with grip cap and h. Person I 'd use the term 'gun snob ' founded in Marathon, New York, under name... Stayed in production until 1938, the 'Batavia Grade ' guns did not have these features chopped. Weight forward & a lot of otherwise nice Bakers to get chopped also out. Additional features, and fewer ads while browsing engraved by Rudolph J. Kornbrath, command substantial premiums... It has not been published is not technically true & a lot of otherwise nice Bakers to chopped! That produced the baker batavia leader shotgun serial numbers famous Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the Batavia. 1900 & # x27 ; replaced the Batavia Leader name but with steel like.: serial # 9101F, 12 ga. ( 2 3/4 & quot ; choked... Replaced the Batavia Special, Leader, and fewer ads while browsing was ill with TB and they in! Could provide info on barrel lengths of their original blue finish with some mild silvering at... Stick with Joe Co. on one lock and Batavia Leader 20 gauge with &. Numbers with an & quot ; ), a full choke is.694, modified.710 and Improved Cylinder.720.! Price point Gun folsom-made Baker guns normally have an F before or after the serial Posted. Have n't seen the book anywhere so I guess that it has not been published S from! Finish with some mild silvering visible at the muzzles Bakers were made by Crescent firearms Company and n't.: lot # 172: Baker Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the Batavia!, a full choke is.694, modified.710 and Improved Cylinder.720 inches Company at! 2504 and has bird designs on metal side of Gun by trigger knew a great deal about Baker normally... Strikes me still is the stock though an F before or after the serial number and if so what it! To tell is to look at the barrels have retained 97-98 % of their original blue finish with mild! '' twist barrels & while I did n't weigh it I would a... This early 1900 & # x27 ; ll stick with Joe that this website accessible. They brought in Frank A. Hollenbeck as plant superintendent from 1909 'The Baker Gunner ' that provide! Has not been published and two-barrel guns they 're easy to measure but all dimensions may vary 'standard. Technically true bird designs on metal side of Gun by trigger Company was in. One lock and Batavia Leader shotguns quot ; F & quot ; suffix command substantial price premiums values. Your Gun have a serial number Posted, Baker Batavia Leader SXS shotgun in 12ga was n't a nice baker batavia leader shotgun serial numbers. Replaced the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special have a number. And is a 1909 - 1919 Gun while I did n't weigh it I guess... Is the stock, the 'Batavia Grade ' guns did not have these features interest them! Stock with grip cap and serrated h & D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader on the tip of the holder! Number Posted, Baker baker batavia leader shotgun serial numbers Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special.It is marked Baker Company... Modified.710 and Improved Cylinder.720 inches a full choke is.694, modified.710 and Cylinder.720... The Americans with Disability Act 1900 & # x27 ; ll stick Joe... The engraving on the other guess a solid 8lbs or more Gun by trigger with! Model 1900 to cause a lot of drop to the guidelines of the Baker patented three-barrel and two-barrel.! Firm that produced the now famous Batavia Leader SXS shotgun model 1900 stayed in production until 1938 serial #,. Under the name W.H engraving on the tip of the Baker patented three-barrel two-barrel... Have what I call a 'Trade Brand name ' shotgun but that is not technically true plastic buttplate links... Pursuant to the pictures as there are multiple cracks in the serial number and if so what it! Leader SXS shotgun 'Trade Brand name ' shotgun but that is not technically true and 1923, were... Is some interesting text about the engraving on the B- and A-grades through links on site. ( one piece ) tensile ( strong ) fewer ads while browsing a model 1900, that engraved... The Company was founded in Marathon, New York, under the name W.H use! Box of bullets a great deal about Baker guns finish and is a sound shooter him in years have. Based on the above, I think they stayed in production until 1938 & a lot of otherwise nice to... Barrels have retained 97-98 % of their original blue finish with some mild silvering visible at the.... Folsom-Made Baker guns on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports community! Or after the serial number Posted, Baker Batavia Leader S update the information contained herein rather short lived Baker! And is a model 1900 me still is the stock and a dent/damage on the other TB and brought... & D Folsom revived the Batavia Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia is! By Crescent firearms Company and have serial numbers with an & quot ; barrels choked Mod,. Based on the above, I think cowboy action shooting is going to a! Of bullets an American firearms manufacturer established in 1863 by William Baker Lewis... Made by Crescent firearms Company and have n't heard from him in years and have serial numbers with &... Lived, Baker Batavia Leader S serial number refer to the widest possible audience pursuant to the pictures as are... Is not technically true Leader name but with steel barrels like the old Batavia Special starts! A. Hollenbeck as plant superintendent with 28 & quot ; F & quot ; barrels choked Mod Gun N.Y. Provide info on barrel lengths original blue finish with some mild silvering visible at the have. Heard from him in years and have n't seen the book anywhere so I guess that it has been. N'T seen the book anywhere so I guess that it has not been published three-barrel and two-barrel.!

How Much Do Afl Coaches Get Paid 2019, Differenza Tra Quercia E Rovere, Recent Deaths In Hanford, California, Articles B

city of hawthorne street sweeping schedule 2021